I will never forget the night I saw Lucy’s face for the first time….I was at an event that I helped put together to bring awareness to the importance of adopting shelter dogs and not buying from a boutique puppy store. A star studded event it was; but, believe me, my little Lucy was the biggest star there. I’m not quite sure what did me in that night; her perfectly placed patches on her eyes, her tiny little body, her desire to snuggle up tightly, or the smell of corn chips coming from her paws.lol I’m pretty certain it was a combination of it all.
Sadly, within a week of her adoption, she fell incredibly ill and had to be hospitalized for several days. The diagnosis….Distemper, a virus that affects a dog’s immune system and can most times result in death. We endured ten weeks of absolute hell, watching this precious little baby vomit, twitch and seizure to the point where she couldn’t even stand up. I spent every night for weeks sobbing with her in my arms, holding her for hours and hours until she would finally fall asleep. Lucy was much stronger than me…she rose up to every challenge she faced, never giving up her fight and maintaining her amazing spirit. She learned several tricks, bonded deeply with me and my friends, and earned herself the title “miracle dog” by our veterinary clinic. I can’t even begin to explain the amount of joy this little girl brings to me and all the people she meets. She’s a lover of all people and animals, smart as a whip, and has one of the most amazing personalities of any dog (or human, for that matter) I’ve ever encountered. Seeing her grow into the strong, determined dog she is, is one of my greatest joys…She is truly a miracle, and I’m in awe of her everyday. I love you Lucy Dog!
Because of Lucy, I have dedicated myself into bringing awareness of doggy and pet care. They are the gems to our hearts sometimes and truly bring happiness to our days. Please check out the below pet care organizations and help support them and our four-legged friends.
Doggie No-No List
1) Alcoholic Beverages
2) Avacados (skin and pits) – causes difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the lungs and heart. The fruit, pit and plant are toxic.
3) Chocolate (all forms) – causes seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most toxic.
4) Coffee and Tea (all forms) – foods and drinks containing caffeine cause similar symptoms as chocolate ingestion.
5) Fatty Foods – causes pancreatitis.
6) Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts – Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. Limit all other nuts as they are not good for dogs in general, their high phosphorous content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones. Exception to this rule seems to be PEANUT BUTTER.
7) Moldy or Spoiled foods
8) Onions, Onion Powders – destroys red blood cells and may cause anemia.
9) Raisins and Grapes – causes liver damage/failure. As little as a single serving can kill a dog.
10) Salt – excessive consumption causes kidney problems.
11) Yeast Dough – expands several times its original size in the stomach. Especially dangerous to dogs prone to bloat.
12) Green Tomatoes – can cause tremors and heart arrhythmia. The plant is more toxic than the fruit, though all should be avoided. This is a member of the nightshade family.
13) Pits (apple/cherry/peach) – contain cyanide. The fleshy part of the fruit however is good for them.
14) Garlic – excessive amounts
15) Products sweetened with xylatol – causes liver failure.